Black Bean Patties

I'm catching up on several months of digests . . . noticed that someone
semi-recently asked about black bean patties.  The following recipe probably
came from this list or the archives, but I'll post anyway.  My husband loves
these, especially served with sides of ff sour cream and salsa.
-di

                Black Bean Patties with Cilantro and Lime

Serving Size  : 10   Preparation Time :0:30

   2      tablespoons   vegetable broth, fatfree
   1      cup           onion -- chopped
     1/2  cup           green bell pepper -- finely chopped
     1/2  cup           red bell pepper -- finely chopped
   1      tablespoon    jalapeno -- minced
   1      teaspoon      chili powder
     1/2  teaspoon      oregano -- dried
     1/2  teaspoon      cumin
     1/4  teaspoon      salt
   2      cloves        garlic -- minced

  15      ounces        black beans, cooked or canned

   1 1/2  cups          fatfree bread crumbs
     1/4  cup           cornmeal
   2      tablespoons   cilantro -- minced
   1      tablespoon    lime juice

Saute first 9 ingredients (onion through garlic) in stock 3 minutes or until
onion is tender.  Add undrained beans (or rinse and drain beans in can, then
add back in fresh water) and saute 1 minute.

Combine in large bowl bean mixture, bread crumbs, cornmeal, cilantro, and
lime juice; mix well.

Place 1/2 or more of the bean mixture in a food processor and process until
smooth.  Add pureed mixture (and cheese, if using) to unprocessed bean
mixture; stir well.

Heat nonstick griddle or skillet medium hot.

Divide mixture into 10 portions, shape into 3" patties.  Cook 3 minutes or
until nicely browned (usually takes a little longer around here!), turning
patties at midpoint.

-- Di Coldiron
-- dcold@xxxxxxx