Re: MSG

>Jill,
>
>Thank you for your post re: MSG.  Your note...
>
>> NOTE:  MSG from the
>> Orient tends to be made from sugar cane or tapioca, here in the US and in
>> Europe, from sugar beets.  It's possible that people who can't tolerate one
>> form of MSG may be able to tolerate the other, although I'm just
>> speculating.  For me, it's just the amount that matters -- a very small
>> amount is good, too much gives me a headache.
>
>...lit a light bulb over my head!  I'm hypoglycemic, and have always become
pretty sick
>after eating anything with MSG.  Now I'm thinking it's the fact it's made
from sugar
>cane or sugar beets.
>
>What do others think about this theory?

Collecting cookbooks is a hobby of mine. One time I was fortunate enough to
find a copy of Joyce Chen's first cookbook in a used bookstore. Nearly all
of her recipes in this book contain MSG. I the definition of Chinese spices,
she has this note on MSG:

"My father's good friend Mr. Wu was the founder of the first and largest
factory in China which makes the famous Ve-Tsin. I had several relatives on
his staff. Ve-Tsin is a white powder or crystal, a by-product of soy bean
and wheat refining. Monosodium glutamate (MSG) powder is widely used in
canned food everywhere now, but we used it many years befre. Many brands are
on the market (notably Accent and MSG). We use it by adding a small amount
(1/4 to 1/2 tsp) to dishes for improving flavor, and it works wonderfully in
making bland foods taste better. Although MSG is specified in many of my
recipes, its use is optional and can be omitted without further changes."

Regards,

Sherry Rose in Orygun

--
Sherry Rose                view from my dining room window --
sherry@xxxxxxxxx       http://home.aol.com/Sherry4803