Re: Unidentified subject!

Michelle Leberte wrote (Tue, 20 Aug 1996 11:21:37 -0400 (EDT)):

>How does one replace wine or sherry in a recipe?  I seldom use either, and
>would hate to buy a whole bottle for one recipe that I would like to try,
>simply b/c it would go bad before I was able to use the whole thing, unless
>I could keep it in the freezer.  Can I use broth instead?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Michelle Leberte * University of Pennsylvania * mleberte@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I buy cooking wine or cooking sherry for recipes. The bottles are smaller, the
product is much cheaper than table wine, and they will last a long time if you
keep them sealed and out of the light. I also use cooking sherry to store my cut
ginger root in. The sherry that has had ginger steeped in it is delicious added
to oriental dishes.

Depending on the recipe, broth might work fine as a substitute. Some other
possibilities for particular situations include flavored vinegars, soy sauce,
ginger juice, lemon juice, and an oriental flavoring called Ponzu sauce
(citrusy). I'm sure there are others, too. Mostly it depends on what's right for
the particular recipe.

Peggy