RECIPE: Red Pepper Pickle

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.04

      Title: Red Pepper Pickle
 Categories: Indian, Relishes, Vegetables
      Yield: 6 Servings

      1    Red bell pepper
           Small onion - see below
    1/2    Lemon, juice of -OR-
      1 tb Bottled lemon juice
      2 ts Cumin seed
           Fresh-ground black pepper

  NOTES: This is served in small quantities (about 2 tablespoons per
  person) as a crisp contrast to tender vegetables and creamy dhals.

  ABBREVIATIONS: ts = teaspoon
                 tb = tablespoon

  Cut the red pepper in half; deseed and remove all white membrane.
  Slice as thinly as the sharpness of your knife will allow :-)  then
  cut the longer slices in half. Keep in mind always the way this
  will look when you serve it. Make it possible to pick them up in a
  tablespoon.

  Put the pepper slices in a non-metal bowl (if you use a metal one
  the lemon juice will react with it and the pickle will have a metallic
  taste).

  Cut the top end off the onion then shave off very thin slices.
  Really the sharper your knife the better. Make them wafer-thin and if you
  can't consider sharpening your knife. Separate the rings. Mix them
  in with the pepper slices - use your own judgement as to how much
  onion you want. I use 1/8 small onion to a medium red bell pepper but
  that's just me.

  Add the lemon juice, grind over black pepper to taste and mix in
  the cumin seed.

  Now cover the bowl and leave for at least an hour, NOT in the
  fridge but even possibly in the sun, stirring once or twice.

  Sorry can't remember where this recipe came from. Possibly same
  place as the potato chops. It is certainly not by me though I wish it
  was...

MMMMM