kombu

I've used kombu when making seasoned rice for vegetable sushi.  You just put in the the water
with the rice.  When the rice is done cooking, just remove it, then season the rice with a little
rice vinegar.  You can also add some mirin.  You're supposed to fan the rice (with a real fan) and
it actually makes in shiner while you toss it with a spatula to cool.  I love sushi!

Thats the only time I've seen kombu, although I'd be curious to see other uses for it as I have some in
my cupboard.

Lisa