MSG's source

Dear List,

I have check my sources again.  MSG does not come straight from the kombu.
The raw form is glutamic acid.  All they do to make MSG is add sodium.  In
solution it becomes glutamic acid and sodium.  It is the glutamic acid that
causes harm.  I think the process works like this:  glutamic acid becomes
glutamate, a naturally occuring neurotransmitter.  Ingested MSG, however,
send the levels of glutamate through the roof and that is when brain cells
begin to die.

Chris in LA.

 From the virtual desk of:

Christopher J. Attarian
cattaria@xxxxxxxx

Los Angeles:  A city in search of the road less traveled.