Bean recipes

I made this for dinner last night. The pinto beans are a substitution for
cannellini, and the kale for escarole or curly endive. This was GREAT, and
so simple! It took about 20 minutes to prepare, excluding cooking time for
the rice; I served it over brown rice cooked with a few tbsp minced onion,
and about 1 tsp turmeric. A bed of rice, topped by a layer of beans, then
covered with the greens and a sprinkling of red pepper flakes over all. .
. (I have to admit that the kids weren't wild about it, but then they
aren't wild about most of my lf vegetarian cooking! Not bland enough for
them, I guess, even without hot pepper.)
Linda Brock
mcgimp@xxxxxxx

                   *  Exported from  MasterCook Mac  *

                              Beans and Kale

Recipe By     : Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home
Categories    : Entree                           Beans
                Low-Fat

   4      c             pinto beans, canned -- rinsed and drained
   2      tbsps         lemon juice
                        salt and pepper -- to taste
     1/4  tsp           crushed red pepper -- optional
   2      bunches       kale -- stems removed
   4      cloves        garlic -- minced
                        salt and pepper -- to taste

Slightly mash beans until they hold together. Stir in lemon juice, salt and freshly ground pepper; crushed pepper if desired (or save to top individual servings). Set aside for room temperature serving, or heat in top of double boiler.
Wash and chop the greens into small pieces. In large skillet, heat sauteeing liquid of your choice and cook garlic several minutes. Add greens and cook until wilted and bright green. Add salt and freshly ground pepper.

Per serving: 203 Calories; 1g Fat (4% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 39g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 1008mg Sodium

Serving Ideas : Over rice cooked w/ minced onion & turmeric, or w/ bread.

NOTES : Original recipe called for cannellini, and curly endive or escarole.
Really tasty, but kids weren't crazy about lemon.