RECIPE: Ornish Fat-Free Waffles

I made these today as Belgian waffles using this recipe as a base, adding 2
julienned apples, 1 t. cinnamon, nutmeg, fresh minced ginger, about 1/4 c.
oats, 2 T. sunflower seeds ... but you can add anything you want to vary it
.. spices, extracts, fruits, seeds, whatever suits you.  I loved them, my
parrots are thrilled with them and they freeze well, too! :)

Katja

Ornish Waffles (fat-free)

1 c. flour
1 1/4 t. baking powder
pinch  salt
3 egg whites (use 2 in mix, 1 to whip and "lighten")
1  c.  nonfat milk
2 T. + 2 t. applesauce
1/2 t. vanilla

Preheat 200 F oven (if using to keep warm and crisp while making others).

1)  mix dry and wet ingredients separately (2 whites)

2)  beat 1 egg white to firm peaks

3)  blend wet into dry, then gently fold in whipped white

4)  bake until steam stops (Janet:  I like them crunchy so I leave them in
a bit longer)

5)  keep warm and crisp on the plain rack in 200 F oven (or at least on a
baking rack so
they don't steam on a plate and lose texture)

serves 4, 102 cal., 0.7 g fat