Re: Bulk yeast in NYC

Hi,

I've been lurking for the past several months and must say that I'm really
enjoying this list. Thanks to all for sharing their recipes. I hope to
contribute as well.

On April 27, Irene Schmidt requested a source for yeast in bulk in NYC.
Although I live in NYC I've hardly ever purchased yeast here, because I order
it from the King Arthur Flour Company's catalogue, called "The Baker's
Catalogue," in Vermont.  It's hard if not impossible (my experience) to find
yeast in bulk. Once in a while I'll see 4 oz. jars of yeast in various health
food stores, but more often all I can find are the small packets (3 to a
strip). The kind I use is Red Star Active Dry Yeast, and it comes in a
1-pound bag for $4.50. I'm very pleased with the results. I bake a lot of
bread and this lasts a long time. Other kinds of yeasts are available too.
Here's the info:
The Baker's Catalogue
P.O.Box 876
Norwich, VT 05055-0876
Catalog request: 1-800-777-4434
Orders: 1-800-927-6836
Fax: 1-800-343-3002
Home page: http://www.kingarthurflour.com
It's a great catalogue, which is why I wanted to post this to the list rather
than send a private e-mail. Hope this helps.