TVP Nutritional Content

>Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 19:53:45 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Sara Vlug <svlug@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: TVP
>
>	Does  anyone have the nutrient content of textured veggie protein?
>Calories, protein, fat? Also anysuggestions on what to cook it with on an
>extended camping trip where all foods will be dehydrated????
>TIA
>Sara :)

Sara;
        Here's what I've got on hand, which I believe I found at the FAQ for
either a vegan or a health newsgroup...

TVP

   TVP stands for Texturized Vegetable Protein.  It is made from
   defatted soy flour and is very low in fat (3%CFF).  It is sold in
   flakes, granules, and chunks and can be used as a replacement for
   ground beef.  Note that TVP is not the same thing as HVP,
   hydrolyzed vegetable protein.  HVP is a food additive that often
   contains significant amounts of MSG, monosodium glutamate.  TVP
   does not contain MSG.  Although TVP itself is extremely low in fat,
   sometimes commerical products made from TVP or TVP mixes contain
   significant amounts of added fat.  As always, read the label.

   TYPICAL NUTRITIONAL INFO FOR 1/4 CUP DRY TVP GRANULES (21g)
   Calories: 59
   Protein: 11g
   Carbohydrates: 7g
   Fat: 0.2g