"Palatable" Dixie

I've read with interest several comments by folks who don't
like Dixie soy proteins. I think I understand the problem.
Some readers have pointed out that you have to COOK them, or
store them in the refrigerator over night after they are
reconstituted.

I've found that they need to be SEASONED and a lot of
flavors need to be added to them...but I think that is
common with many foods. Dixie products are NOT processed
convenient foods that are made to be "taken out of the
package" and eaten...although in their new catalog they
have added many such items.

Their Beef NOT bits are a good example. They do smell
like dog food right after they are reconstituted.

This is what I do for their m**t loaf:

Reconstitute Beef NOT as per their instructions with
1 cup hot water and their prepared powdered broth,
one teaspoon. Microwave (covered) the dish after
you mix it for about 2 minutes. Then keep it covered
and let it sit for about 1/2 hour while your working
on the other parts of the recipe:

Ingredients for B**f NOT M**t loaf:

1 cup Beef NOT
1 cup Hot water
1 tsp (heaping) Beef NOT powdered beef gravy mix
Reconstituted...
1/2 cup tomato catsup
2 TBS Lipton onion soup dry mix--(shake it up to get it mixed)
3 slices of stale bread, torn into little pieces
1/4 chopped onion
2 tsp nutritional yeast (non-bitter kind from health food store)
1 or 2 tsp prepared mustard
2 egg whites or other egg replacer
1 TBS FF mayonaise (Safeway Enlighten--my favorite)
1/4 cup bran or oat meal flakes

Mix these ingredients together with the reconstituted
Beef NOT. You may have to experiment by adding a little
more oat meal flakes or egg replacer to get the consistency
right for your taste. It should be a gooey mixture and
smell good before you put it in the oven. This should
be baked in a regular oven, not a microwave, (even though
Dixie sells a pan for microwave m**t loaf). You can
serve this with a covering of real mashed potatoes and
paprika after it is done. Hain makes an excellent
powdered (vegan) gravy that has no fat in it. It is
a perfect portion for this m**t loaf. You might
serve this also with canned baked beans (vegetarian)
on the side.

THIS IS NOT A LOW SODIUM RECIPE. I think it has
over 500 mgs sodium per portion. It tastes
wonderful. Don't try making it without the
nutritional yeast (debittered). I know you
may think it will taste fine without it,
but it NEEDS it--same with the catsup.

Mike Rosenblatt