Re: Using TVP (taco recipes)

>Date: 25 Feb 97  8:46:50
>From: "susan.j.mcgee" <susan.j.mcgee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Using TVP
>
>I would like to know how to use TVP.  Have half a pound and want to make tacos!

Here are a couple from the archives.
Shari
brownlee_s@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                   *  Exported from  MasterCook II  *

                                TVP Tacos

Serving Size  : 4

   2      cups          tvp, dry
   1 3/4  cups          boiling water
   1      can           tomatoes, canned -- 28 oz
   1      teaspoon      basil
   1      teaspoon      oregano
     1/2  teaspoon      cumin
     1/2  teaspoon      thyme
   1      teaspoon      salt
                        pepper -- to taste
   1      tablespoon    chili powder
   1      each          onion -- diced

Reconstitute TVP in boiling water. Simmer TVP, and all the ingredients to blend.
kwvegan vegan

Taco Filling

Mix together in a saucepan:
        1 1/4 cups cold water
        1 Tbsp. sundried tomato bits (dry, not oilpak)
        1 tsp. dried minced onions
        1/2 tsp. garlic powder
        1 Tbsp. mild chili powder
        1 tsp. cumin
        1/2 tsp. sugar or equivalent
        2 Tbsp. Bragg's liquid aminos (or 1 Tbsp. soy sauce)
        1 Tbsp. cornstarch
Stir until cornstarch dissolves.  The stir in:
        1/2 cup plain TVP granules
Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; stir and simmer until it is of the
desired consistency for tacos, about 2 to 5 minutes.

Put into a taco shell; top with the usual.

Note:  If you don't have sundried tomato bits, chop up some sundried tomato
halves in a food processor.  Or make them by cutting Roma or Italian plum
tomatoes in half; dry in a dehydrator until they're dry yet still flexible;
leave them out for a day to "cure;" store, preferably in the freezer.  Don't
use any other kind of tomato, as they're too watery and seedy.

kwvegan vegan