Re: Egg whites

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, John Lee wrote:

> Can some kind person please explain about beating of egg whites?  Recipes
> will frequently say something like 'add 2 egg whites' but I am never sure
> whether there is any practical difference... between lightly beaten...

Someone else just answered this, but I wanted to expand on that by saying
that recipes generally specify what they want to be done to the egg
whites.  On this list, we see lots of recipes calling for 2 egg whites,
because that's a ff sub for one egg.  If the recipe doesn't say to beat
to stiff peaks, soft peaks, etc, you can safely assume you don't need to
do much to your eggs, other than mix them well with the other ingredients.

Good luck!
Susan Lehman
UNC-Chapel Hill