Eggplant and Barley Recipe (Part 2)

Below is Gabe Mirkin's Spice Mix I used in part one of this post.

I have also used it in beans and on veggies (much as you might use
any currie or chili powder)  The toasted cumin gives it a wonderful
flavor

                BERBERE SPICE MIX
                   Dr. Gabe Merkin

2 tsp Cumin Seed
1tsp Cardamom Seed
1/2 tsp Whole allspice
1 tsp fenugreek seed
1 tsp coriander seed
8 whole cloves
1 tsp black peppercorns
5 tsp red pepper flakes (use more or less depending on
                         how hot you like your food - I
                         find this amount about right for us)
1 tsp grated ginger (or 1/2 tsp dried)
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp paprika
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Place first 7 ingredients in a hot pan and toast stirring constantly for
about 2 minutes (until the cumin is very very brown)  Add remaining
ingredients and grind.  Store in tight jar in refrigerator.

Barb Beck
Barb.Beck@xxxxxxxxxxx
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada