Mirkin's Recipes - Cranberry Beans and Kale

More notes or Mirkin's recipes
I realize those of you suffering in the heat may not appreciate such
a recipe just now but for those of us in cooler climes or who live
on the south end of the earth this is even appropriate in the summer.

I agree with Michelle - His Bean, Eggplant, Tomato Casserole is good.
I usually just up the spices a little.  We have make it several times
in the last year.

Tamale Stuffed Peppers definately did not impress us- Notes: Needs more
beans, less tomato, much much more garlic, more cumin and less
chili powder - probably beyond hope

Cranberry Beans and Kale was pretty good with modifications:
I up the spices and instead of sage I use a little cumin to give
the soup just a hint of cumin flavor.

                  Cranberry Beans and Kale
                       Barb Beck

Based on recipe by Dr. Gabe Mirkin

1 large onion (or two small) chopped
16 cloves of garlic minced
6 cups bouillon or your choice
1 pound cranberry (white, pinto or about any other bean) cooked or
                   3 cans undrained)
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
1 tsp or more red pepper flakes - adjust to your tastes
1 pound chopped kale
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup water
1 tsp ground cumin (a little better if freshly toasted and ground)
Juice of half a lemon
freshly ground black pepper
Green onions or fresh cilantro for garnish - optional

Dump all but garnish,water, lemon juice and cornmeal in pot and simmer
until the kale is tender. Mix the cornmeal, water and lemon juice into
paste and pour it slowly into the simmering stew.  Simmer another 15
minutes.  Garnish with chopped green onions and/or fresh cilantro.

Barb Beck
Barb.Beck@xxxxxxxxxxx
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada