pasta recipe and miso question

I just bought some miso at an Asian food market, but have yet to open it.
Once I open it about how
long will it last before spoiling?  Thanks in advance for your replies.

A few nights ago, I made a great recipe from the Moosewood Recipe Low-Fat
Favorites Cookbook.
It was a great change of pace.

PASTA, LENTILS, and ARTICHOKE HEARTS

1 cup dry red lentils
1 bay leaf
3 cups water
1 Teaspoon olive oil (for sauteeing onions, I eliminated the oil and it
came out fine)
2 cups diced onions
2 large garlic cloves, pressed or minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups canned tomatoes
1 1/2 cups artichoke hearts
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 pound farfalle, rotini or other pasta
salt and pepper to taste

Combine the water, lentils, and bay leaf, bring to a boil, lower the heat
and simmer for 15-20 min
Saute onions until golder, add the garlic, cumin, and coriander, stir
frequently.
Add the lemon juice, tomatoes, artichoke hearts and crushed red pepper and
simmer for 10 minutes.
Drain the cooked lentils, save some of the cooking liquid (in case sauce is
dry). Then add lentils to the tomato mxture, simmer for 10 miutes, adding
1/2 cup of the cooking liquid from lentils if sauce is dry.
Boil water for pasta, and then top the pasta with the sauce, adding salt
and pepper to taste.

I ran out of coriander and used a little mild curry once, and the dish also
came out very tasty.
I was thinking about using other vegetables too, such as chopped broccoli,
instead of the artichoke
hearts.
-Karen Miller