Cheese Substitute

Chris asked about a cheese substitute.

My boyfriend and I have been experimenting with Nutritional Yeast, and
have obtained wonderful results. As vegans, this has been a great
discovery for us since the only thing we miss is cheese, but we miss it
a lot!

So for Chris and anyone else out there who misses it, here is our
favorite Nutritional Yeast recipe, which we fondly call CheeZe:

(from The Farm Vegetarian Cookbook)

*1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes

*1/2 cup flour (we use unbleached white flour but whole wheat also
worked well)

*1 tsp salt

*1/2 tsp garlic powder

*2 cups water

*1/4 cup oil or margarine (we made it without this and still got a good
tasting sauce, we also made it with only 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive
oil and had very good results)

*1 tsp wet mustard (dijon worked great for us)

Mix dry ingredients in saucepan. Whisk in water. Cook over medium heat,
whisking it until it thikens and bubbles. Cook 30 seconds, then remove
from heat and add the mustard and margarine. It will thicken as it cools
and thin when it is warmed.

What we do is mix it with sliced potatoes and top with more CheeZe, then
we broil it for a bit... I love this recipe.

Enjoy!

Andie

*Andrea Batres Chacon*
*KU, Lawrence, Kansas*