Re: Cilantro

On Fri, 2 May 1997 GlaeserKin@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I have a question.  I really do not like the taste of cilantro.  I have heard
> that parsley is a good substitute for cilantro.  Is this always true, or are
> there recipes that parsley will NOT do?  Or is it just a matter of taste?
>  Are there certain types of parsley which would serve the purpose more than
> others?

I think the last time we discussed this, someone posted that there is a
genetic difference which causes cilantro to taste like soap to some
people.  If you're one of these people, I would just leave the cilantro
out.  You could sub parsley, but I've never found parsley to add much
flavor.  I can't think of anything where parsley wouldn't work, since
cilantro just adds flavor (as opposed to texture, or something).

You might try the flat Italian parsley rather than the curly parsley.  It
looks a lot like cilantro (I grabbed it once by mistake).

Good luck!

Susan "More cilantro, please" Lehman
UNC-Chapel Hill