vegetarian/vegan clarification and new list idea

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997 13:14:50 -0500 (EST)  asconyers@xxxxxxx wrote:
> You are right-- w sauce is a no-no for this list. I am not a strict
> vegan or ff person, so I don't mind, but it shouldn't have been
> posted....
>
> Michelle lists a lot of suprising non-veggie things in the FAQ,
> including gelatin (made from horse's hooves) and honey (some folks
> consider this an animal product since its made from bee spit ;-)

Just a small clarification for any who might be confused about the
terms 'vegetarian' or 'vegan':

vegetarian: no meat, no fish, no fowl
vegan: vegetarian plus no dairy or eggs and usually no honey

This list is vegetarian.  That means that non-vegetarian ingredients
(such as gelatin or traditional worcestershire sauce) aren't permitted
in posted recipes, but vegetarian non-vegan ingredients such as honey
and non-fat dairy and eggs are.

Of course, our readers span the wide range from strict vegan, to
vegetarian, to those who don't eat land or air animals but do eat fish
(and are thus not vegetarian), to those who eat small amounts of meat
occasionally, to those who will eat darn near anything (I used to be a
member of the last, myself).  Thus it will always be the case that for
a certain portion of the readership, the list restrictions won't allow
for posting of dishes they would like and for a certain portion of
the readership the list permits recipes they would not like to see or
eat.  It's some of both for me, actually.  I routinely eat things not
covered by the list and the list permits other things I prefer not to
eat.

Actually, I'm considering starting a small sideline list (with recipes
probably gated here) that would have a narrower focus.  Something like
vegan-whole-food type recipes.  If any of you would have an interest
in this, please email me privately and let me know what kind of food
restrictions you would like to see on such a list.  I.e. no white
flour or white sugar or pure oils definately, but what about maple
syrup or fruit juices or salt or soy sauce.  What about higher fat
items like nuts and soy products?  There are vegan lists, so I'd want
this to be a niche list rather than a general vegan list.  No
promises, though, I may not decide to start one at all.

--
Michelle Dick       artemis@xxxxxxxxx       East Palo Alto, CA