Re: Quick dinner ideas

A hearty soup and bread, with our without a crisp salad, is my choice for
any quick dinner. This weekend a pot of gumbo soup (adapted from Laurel's
Kitchen) and a skillet of corn bread were available to whoever happened to
be here.

Many thanks to Jan for the wonderful Czechoslovakian cabbage soup and
joyous, healthy eating to all!

Bette

-----------------------------------

Gumbo Soup

1 c. onion, chopped coarsely
1 c. green pepper, chopped coarsely
3 cloves
1 large can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
3-4 c. vegetable stock
1 c. baby limas, cooked
1 c. corn kernels
1 c. okra, sliced
1/2 ts. allspice, crushed
1 ts. sugar, or more to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion and cloves in small amount of vegetable stock until onion
softens. Remove cloves, add green pepper, and saute another minute or two.
Add remaining ingredients, including the liquid from the tomatoes, and
simmer 15 minutes.

Notes:  I like frozen okra better than fresh because it's less mucilaginous,
and I generally use frozen corn and baby limas for convenience. My vegetable
stock is always the accumulated liquid from cooked mild vegetables (such as
summer squash, spinach, green beans or peas).  Adding more limas, corn,
and/or okra turns this into a tasty stew.  Adding cooked brown rice is
another option.

vegan