grains for breakfast

Hello fatfrees:
I'm having trouble with eating rice for breakfast.  A few
weeks back, someone posted a recipe for cooking a combination
of grains overnight in the crockpot.  I didn't write down the
recipe, because I don't like rice pudding--type things.
But I want to go on McDougall for a few weeks and so I tried
last night to cook millet, barley, and short-grain brown rice
in a bunch of water.  I added salt, sugar, and a few date pieces
this morning, but it still tasted too strongly ricey.  Is it
something you get used to?

Thanks for your help,
Maggie