Re: Cornmeal Sandy?

On Mon, 20 Oct 1997, Rachel Sincere wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I love things like cornbread, cornmeal mush, etc.  Recently my mom gave
> me a Folger's can full of cornmeal that was given to her a long time
> ago.  I have made a few things using it but the texture seems off, it
> seems sort of "sandy" (when made into mush-type things, cornbread is
> still okay.).  Is this just the grind?  Does anyone know what I mean?  I
> would like to know if this is how it's supposed to be or if I am
> justified in buying new stuff.

If she had it around for a really long time (more than a year), I'd
probably dump it and get fresh cornmeal.  Since corn has a somewhat
high fat content, it can turn rancid after a while.  I store mine in the
fridge to keep it good longer.  (If you can't bear to just dump it, you
could combine it with some peanut butter and put it out for the birds
this winter.)

Jenny Herl              |   "The world has enough for everyone's need,
jlherl@xxxxxxxx         |    but not enough for everyone's greed."
University of Illinois  |
Urbana-Champaign        |    --attributed to Mahatma Ghandi (1869-1948)