Protein and energy

> I am a newbie to this wonderful list and have almost completed
> the transition from carnivore to vegitarian/vegan.
> I am having some trouble getting enough protein (I start to
> really drag) and appreciate all suggestions for m**t substitutes.

Many people who change their eating from SAD to low fat vegetarian
often don't get enough energy for their needs and "start to drag".

This is rarely a protein deficiency and almost almost always a lack
of total calories. Fat (including all the oils and fats hidden in so
many foods) has more than twice the calories per gram than protein or
carbohydrates, so you'll need to increase the quantity of what you
eat considerably. Unless one consumes much more of the vegetables,
legumes, whole grains and fruit in the new diet, the total calorie
intake may not provide enough energy for basal metabolism.

Sufficient servings of beans, legumes and whole grains should provide
even a highly active person with all the protein needed. Excessive
protein consumption is responsible for many health problems. At least
one serving of lowfat soy products is recommended for reducing heart
disease and cancer risks.

Ruth Heidrich, the 63 year old author of A Race for Life, six time
finisher of the Iron Man Triathalon and 44 international marathons,
does it all on 10 percent calories from fat, 10 to 15 percent from
protein and the rest from complex carbohydrates. So can we. Most of
us "graze", eating low-fat, low sugar snacks between meals. We've
learned that plentiful meals of the right foods don't cause weight
gain and are necessary to get all the energy we need.
---
Neal Pinckney <> Healing Heart Foundation <> Makaha, Hawaii <> AH6HM