Two TVP Related Questions

I reconstituted TVP flakes and mixed it with Italian Tomato soup to make
a pretty good Sloppy Joe mix. However, the TVP retained its pale yellow
color and it looked pretty disgusting. Is there a way to add a darker
color to TVP when you reconstitiute it?

Second, I had a bad experience with Lumen Foods' Chicken Filet, a TVP
product in a box. I think the brand name is Heart Line. I made Chicken
Caccatore (sp?) and threw it out.... despite cooking the product
according to directions and simmering with the sauce, the "chicken" had
a bad & bitter taste. Anyone else have this experience? I've seen
references to "Chicken NOT" products but that brand isn't sold where I
live.

Thanks!