ginger soft drink

This recipe if from the Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant cookbook.  We make it often at our house and like it best warm  in the winter.  It makes your house smell wonderful!  If anyone else has some good fatfree ginger recipes, I'd love to see them posted since we are great fans of that flavor.
Monica in Oregon

Ginger Soft Drink  (Southern Africa)

This recipe makes a concentrate that can be diluted with plain or sparkling water.

Yields 3 quarts of concentrate

6 cups boiling water
1 cup diced or grated fresh ginger root
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons whole cloves
4 cinnamon sticks
1/2 cup fresh lime or lemon juice
8 cups cool water

Pour the boiling water over the grated ginger root, sugar, cloves, and cinnamon in a large nonreactive pot or bowl (enamel, glass, or stainless steel).  Cover and set aside in a warm place, in the sun if possible, for at least an hour.

Strain the liquid through a fine sieve or a cloth.  add the juices and water.  Set aside in a warm place for another hour or so.  Gently strain the liquid again, taking care not to disturb the sediment at the bottom.  Store in the refrigerator in a large nonreactive container.

Serve warm, chilled, or on ice,  either as is, or diluted with water or sparkling water.