Pickled Cabbage

This recipe is not for the faint-hearted. It will make steam come out of your
ears, ah, but it sure is good! I got it from one of my husband's Chinese
co-workers.

Pickled Cabbage
1 head napa
1/2 to 1 cup sugar (depends on how sweet you like it)
4 slices fresh ginger
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 tablespoons chili garlic sauce (Tuong or Toi Vietnam brand-available at an
Oriental grocery)

1. Chop napa into bite size pieces. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons salt and work
salt into napa. Let stand 5 hours.
2. Squeeze out the brine. Drain well.
3. In a jar, mix the above ingredients. Add the napa and refrigerate for 3
days. Shake the jar from time to time.
Makes a lot.
Great for chilly nights, but don't breathe on anyone.
Jan Bennicoff alias JBennicoff