creamed veggies

Made this for dinner the other night:

I cut two turnips and two carrots into small cubes, about 1/2 inch each
dice one onion

Add about 1/4 cup water and nuke, or simmer covered until just tender.

Add a one pound package of frozen petit peas. Heat through.

The sauce:
put a few dried mushrooms in 2 cups hot water, let stand for about 30
minutes.
Remove mushrooms and dice.  Strain soaking liquid to remove grit.  Add 4
tablespoons Wondra Flour (eliminated lumps), 1 or 2 teaspoons tamari sauce
or 2 teaspoons veggie broth powder, 1 teaspoon favorite dried herbs, heat
and stir til thick.  Stir into the hot veggies.  Serve over rice, pasta or
mashed or baked spuds.

Note, if you don't use Wondra flour, put the 2 tablespoons regular flour
into a jar, add 1/2 cup of the mushroom liquid, cover tightly and shake to
make a smooth gravy, add more liquid if necessary, then add back to the pot
and heat and stir.

Sideline, I sometimes brown a batch of flour and keep in a jar to use for
this sort of thing. This make a deeper flavored sauce and eliminates that
uncooked, pasty flour flavor.  Just put flour into a heavy frying pan over
medium heat, and stir constantly until the flour becomes a nice toasty
brown.  You can use whole wheat (whole meal) flour for this as well.