Thai Cooking, Vegetarian Style

I have a few questions.  I am *really* new to trying Thai cooking.  I have
been visiting the local Thai grocery store, and the lady there has been a
great help to me.  However, they often recommend fish sauce.

My question is this.  Can I just leave it out?  Is there a vegetarian
alternative?

I'm one of those people who likes to know the role an ingredient plays in
a recipe before I try to substitute for it.

I spell out fish...I don't like ***.

Thanks for any assistance.

Judy