Re: Mincemeat

Richard and Julia <richjulia@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I've been told a million times that regular mincemeat pie does not have
meat
>in it.  Is this true?

No.  Mincemeat pie tradionally contains meat.  In my ancient Joy of Cooking
book, the recipe for mincemeat contains "4 lbs. lean, chopped beef or ox
heart" and "2 lbs. chopped beef suet.  This is in a recipe for filling for
20 pies.   Their "Mock Mince Pie" recipe, however, does not contain any
meat.

Sorry for any appetites I've just killed with the reference to meat!

Susan
Susan Voisin  voisin@xxxxxxxxx
http://members.xoom.com/veg