RECIPE: Bajan Beans, version 3

This recipe is originally based on one in Gabe Mirkin's book, and I
posted two previous versions of it.  It is a very flexible recipe.  I
visited my family in North Carolina over Christmas and, after finding
out that one of my 3 sisters is now eating vegan, I cooked dinner one
night.  I was going to make Gabe's Tomato Eggplant casserole (really a
stew) and my adaptation of the Bajan Beans.  But, the supermarket
didn't have all the ingredients, so I had to make substitutions.
Yellow bell pepper instead of red, butternut squash instead of
zucchini, and a combo of white and black beans instead of just one or
the other.  Sister's friend couldn't handle spicy food, so I left out
the habanero (they only had jalapeno anyway -- and I nucked a chopped
on in some broth to pass with the dish); but since it would have been
better with habanero in it, the recipe below specifies it.  It is
optional, though, the mild version of the dish was a very big hit
among the whole family.

BAJAN BEANS, TAKE 3

1 onion, chopped,
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 sweet yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 habanero chile, diced small
3 cups bouillon
1 (12oz?  smaller than 28oz) can chopped tomatoes
1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped
1 cup brown rice
1 can small white beans, drained (12-16 oz?)
1 can black beans, drained
1 cup frozen corn
1 to 1.5 cups cilantro, chopped, loosely packed.  A small bunch,
  leaves only plucked off and chopped.

Bring the onion, garlic, two bell peppers and habanero pepper and 1/2
cup of the bouillon to a boil in a large pot.  Simmer 10 minutes or
until the vegetables are softened.  Add the remaining bouillon,
tomatoes, squash and rice.  Return to a boil and simmer covered for 45
minutes, until rice is tender. Stir in the beans, corn, and cilantro
and heat through, about 5 minutes.

6-8 servings, freezes well.

--
Michelle Dick             artemis@xxxxxxxxx              East Palo Alto, CA