Rice Salad

Yesterday I went to the library and checked out a few cookbooks to read
since it's raining this weekend. One of the books I checked out is "Cooking
Without Fat" by George Mateljan (president and founder of Health Valley
Foods). The cookbook is not vegetarian, but at least half of the recipes
are vegetarian. Many of the recipes look great and I'm eager to try several
of them.

For lunch today I made the Rice Salad. It was supposed to be eaten chilled,
but because it's cold today I served it hot topped with black beans and
picante sauce. The salad was awesome and quite filling. Here's the
recipe---hope you enjoy it!

Bethann

Rice Salad
 From "Cooking Without Fat" by George Mateljan
4 servings

Salad:
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice (can also use cooked barley)
1 cup chopped tomato
1/3 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/3 cup frozen corn, thawed
1/3 cup chopped green onion

Dressing:
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar (I used Balsamic vinegar)
2 tsp. honey
1/8 tsp. ground white pepper (optional)
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp. crushed dried oregano
1/2 tsp. crushed dried basil

Combine rice, tomato, peas, corn, and green onions in a serving bowl. Beat
together the remaining ingredients for dressing and pour over rice. Mix
well. Cover and chill for a minimum of 15 minutes. Toss again before serving.

It's very easy to transform Rice Salad into a lunch or light dinner entree
by introducing protein (beans or crumbled tofu). If you want to get fancy,
spoon into hollowed out tomatoes or bell pepper halves.

Per serving:
Calories  137
Fat  .8 gram
% of calories from fat  5%
Cholesterol  0
Sodium  27 milligrams
Dietary fiber  5.7 grams

Bethann D. Watson          Senior Technical Editor
(919) 472-2117             Cisco Systems, Inc.

Ultimately time is all you have and the idea isn't
to save it, but to savor it.   ---Ellen Goodman