Re: Potassium

>Dear List,
>	I am on a new medication for high blood pressure and was told
>that it could cause a deficit of potassium.  Other than bananas and
>oranges, what else is a good source of potassium?
>	Thank you for your help.
>		Best regards,
>		Rita Rosenthal

Following are some good sources of potassium (potassium is generally in
fruits and vegetables in abundance.)  My textbook says this on bananas as a
source of calcium: "People seem to know that bananas contain potassium but
Figure 11-6 shows that their potassium content is only fair.  Why did
bananas get such a reputation for being high in potassium?  Probably
because bananas outrank other common fruits such as apples or oranges; they
are easy to prepare and eat; and they are well liked by many people.  Some
fruits, though, are higher in potassium, and many vegetables have more
still, especially on a per-kcalorie basis.  An advantage that fruits offer
over other fresh foods, including vegetables, is that many of them are
practically sodium-free."

So without further ado, here are the fatfree vegetarian sources of
potassium shown in the table, ranked best source (per serving) to poorest
source:

Dried peaches
Winter squash
Lima beans
Dried pears
Potato
Spinach*
Cantaloupe
Pinto beans
Split peas
Kidney beans
Bok choy*
Prunes
Butternut squash
Watermelon
Asparagus
Beets
Tomatoes
Orange juice
Dried apricots
Black-eyed peas
Broccoli
Zucchini*
Banana
Cauliflower*
Green beans
Summer squash
Parsley*
Fresh apricots
Tomato
Mushrooms*
Orange
Carrot
Peanuts
Cabbage
Fresh peaches
Romaine lettuce*
Apple
Brewer's yeast
Loose-leaf lettuce*
Green pepper
Celery*
Red radishes*
Whole-wheat bread

The *'d items are "Best sources per kcalorie" ie. the most nutrient-dense
foods.

Pam.