Re: Lecithin

> What is wrong with LECITHIN?  I thought it was some sort of
> soy product that was beneficial.  I see it sold as a supplement in
> the health food store.

Lecithin (phosphatidycholine, a phospholipid) is found in all living
organisms. Commercially, is most commonly extracted from egg yolks
and soybeans. It is used as an antioxidant and emolient in cosmetics,
soaps and skin care products and is considered beneficial in natural
medicine, when taken in whole foods, particularly legumes, for heart
disease and high blood pressure.

Lecithin granules, when mixed equally with water, are sometimes used
as an "oil-less" cooking medium. Since it burns at a lower
temperature than most oils, it cannot be used above 350 F. (180 C.),
a level just above "low" called "moderate heat".

Lecithin is an ingredient in some fat substitutes, such as
Wonderthin.

Vegetarians should be aware of the source from which lecithin is
derived. In some common forms it is 100 percent calories from fat.
---
Neal Pinckney <> Healing Heart Foundation <> Makaha, Hawaii <> AH6HM