Falafel

Here is a wonderful falafel recipe.  I made it at Thanksgiving and took it to my in-laws as a dish to pass(so my family would have something to eat that didn't have meat in it):

                    *  Exported from  MasterCook II  *

                               Falafal <T>

Recipe By     : Moosewood Cookbook
Categories    : Grain Main Dishes

   4      C             Garbanzo Beans, Canned -- 2 cans
   4      Med           Garlic Cloves -- minced
   2      Tsp           Cumin
   1      Tsp           Turmeric
   1      Tsp           Salt
     1/2  C             Onion -- finely minced
     1/4  C             Minced Parsley -- packed
     1/4  C             Water
   1      tbsp          Lemon Juice
          dash          Cayenne
     1/3  C             Flour

Rinse the garbanzos and drain them well.  If they were canned, just drain them.  Combine all ingredients (except flour) in a food processor or a medium sized bowl and process or mash until batter is uniform. Add flour and stir/process until thoroughly combined.  The batter can be stored in the refrigerator in a tightly covered container for days. Preheat oven to 400°.  Get a baking pan, cookie sheet, pie tin--whatever. Spray it with non-stick spray for best results (weight watchers) and form the batter with a spoon into a flattened ball.  It should not be much bigger than your spoon.  For a felafel in a small pita bread, make 2-3 felafel patties.  For a larger one, 4-5 will do. Bake them for about 20-25 minutes.  You might flip them over halfway through
baking.  They're finished when they are golden brown.  The aroma will fill your kitchen!  Serve these in pita bread with sliced bell peppers, onions, tomatoes--whatever you'd like

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I also brought this Tahini Sauce(it is only 1 gm. of fat per serving, but the % is way up there.  There is no way to get that good flavor without tahini.):

                    *  Exported from  MasterCook II  *

                           Lowfat Tahini Sauce

Recipe By     : Magazine
Serving Size  : 16   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Salad Dressings And Sauces

     1/2  C             Nonfat Yogurt
   2      Tbsp          Tahini
   1      Tsp           Lemon Juice
          Dash          Ground Red Pepper
   1      Clove         Garlic -- minced

Combine all ingredients in a bowl; stir with a wire shisk until well blended.
Cover and chill.
Makes 1 cup.  Serving size 2 T.

Joan from Bangor, WI