FF: Black bean & Tofu Tart with Cornmeal Crust

Black Bean & Tofu Tart With Cornmeal Crust

 Yield: 6 servings

CRUST

1 c  Cornmeal
1 c  White flour
1/2 ts Salt
1/3 c  or so water or other liquid.   (original recipe called for 1/3 C
Olive oil, so i adapted.  It's a bit tricky to make it without the oil, but
i just fooled around with it until i had something i could slop and mold in
the pie pan.)
4 tb Ice water

Contents of tart

1/2 lb Soft tofu, drained ( I used whatever I had and I always look for the
kind with the least amount of fat in it)
1/2 ts Cumin   (I am sure I used at least 1 t coz i love cumin)
1/4 ts Pepper
1/4 ts Cayenne
2 c  Black beans, cooked
2 tb Onion, minced
6 ea Garlic cloves, roasted
1/2 c  Corn kernels, cooked, for garnish, optional

  CRUST: In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour & salt.  Drizzle in
  water: stir or use fingers to mix until the mixture becomes crumbly.
  Sprinkle with water & mix again.  The mixture should form into a
  ball, add more water if necessary, but only a little at a time.  Wrap
  in a damp towel & refrigerate for 1 hour.

  FILLING: Mash tofu & stir in cumin, pepper & cayenne.  Mix in
  the beans, being careful not to break them, & onion.  Set aside.

  Preheat oven to 400F.  Place dough in a 9" pie plate & press down
  until it covers the plate.  Refrigerate 30 minutes.  Prick crust
  several times, cover with aluminum foil & weight it down.  Bake 20
  minutes, remove weights & foil & bake until the crust is dried out,
  about 5 minutes.

  Spread roasted garlic over the crust & spoon on the filling.  Return
  to oven until heated through, about 15 minutes.  Garnish with corn
  kernels if desired.

  "Vegetarian Times" August, 1994

I found the recipe here and there are a ton more

   Just one of the 38187 recipes available on
   SOAR - the Searchable Online Archive of Recipes
(http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/recipes/)

--
Gloriamarie, enjoying San Diego's Perpetually Perfect Weather

"The moral is, build up that stash. You never know when you're
going to need to knit a scarf for the Dalai Lama." Jean Miles, Edinburgh
mailto:gma@xxxxxxxx