Veggies Paprikas etc.

Hi everyone -

I Have a couple of recipes to share and a question too, or rather an idea. In
a small town near us, there's a garlic festival every year - I've never gone
to it because the traffic is horrendous and it's very hot plus I'm sure most
of the recipes are made with loads of fat. This year the local news station is
running a garlic recipe contest. I thought it might be fun to have our own -
not exactly a contest, but just everyone send in their favorite garlic
recipes. I *really* love garlic and never get enough.

So here are the recipes - of course they both have garlic, but not enough -
add more! I think they're both from the book _Strong Women Stay Slim_ and
they're already low-fat but I cut the fat even more and cut out the chicken in
the one. They taste very rich because of the sour cream, but it's FF sour
cream!

Veggies Paprikas (originally Chicken Paprikas)

1 eggplant
Some mushrooms
1 red bell pepper
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon sweet paprika (or to taste)
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped (I added way more garlic)
1 tomato, finely chopped
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup stock
3/4 cup FF sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)

1. Slice eggplant, mushrooms, and bell pepper - place in bowl and season with
salt, pepper, and half the paprika. Toss and let stand for 5 minutes.
2. Saute the onion and garlic in your favorite saute medium (water or stock or
spray) until they are soft and just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes,
stirring often. Add the tomato after 3 minutes. Stir in the flour and
remaining paprika and cook for 1 minute.
3. Stir in the eggplant mixture and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the stock and
sour cream. Gently simmer until the veggies are cooked and the sauce is nicely
thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and paprika as needed to taste.
4. Transfer the paprikas to plates or a platter. Garnish with dollops of sour
cream sprinkled with parsley, if desired. This is good served on flat noodles.
Makes 4 servings

Spaghetti Primavera with Grilled Vegetables
(grilling the vegetables give this lots of flavor)

Grilled Vegetables
   1 zucchini, cut on the diagonal into 1/4-inch slices
   1 yellow squash, cut on the diagonal into 1/4-inch slices
   1 onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
   Olive oil spray
   Salt and freshly ground black pepper

4 ounces spaghetti
Salt

Sauce
   2 shallots, finely chopped
   2 garlic cloves, finely chopped (use more if you like)
   1 tomato, seeded and finely chopped
   1 cup stock
   1 cup FF sour cream
   8 fresh basil leaves, thinly slivered, plus 4 whole leaves for garnish
   Freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of cayenne

1. Preheat the grill or broiler. Spray the zucchini, squash, and onion slices
with oil - or you could also grill them with no oil whatsoever and use some
delicious marinade. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Grill them until
nicely browned on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter.
2. Cook the pasta in 3 quarts lightly salted, boiling water until al dente, 8
minutes.
3. Meanwhile saute the shallots and garlic until fragrant but not brown, about
2 minutes. Add the tomato and cook for 1 minute. Thinly slice the grilled
vegetables, add them to the pan, and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the stock and sour cream. Briskly boil for 5 to 8 minutes, or until
well reduced, thickened, and richly flavored. Stir in the basil and pasta and
cook until thoroughly heated, 2 minutes, turning with tongs. Correct the
seasoning, adding salt and peppers to taste.
5. Spoon the pasta into bowls - sprinkle with parmesan cheese, if desired.
Makes 4 servings. This is an extremely delicious recipe!

BTW, I tried the chocolate banana "ice cream" someone sent in to this list -
no dairy, no sugar - it's simply amazing, it tastes so rich - last night I
added a little coffee to it for a mocha flavor - that's a very good variation
too.

Enjoy!

Zoe in Santa Cruz