Re: Pronunciation of Vegan

<xfaberman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>The following is perhaps peripheral to this list but I really need to
>know how "vegan" is pronounced.  I always pronounced it (in my head
>since no one else I know shares my interest in this subject) as: VEH JEN
>with the "g" pronounced like the "j" in "joker."  The other day I met a
>real flesh and blood vegan and he says the word is pronounced VEE GEN
>with the "g" pronounced like the "g" in "gone."  However, wouldn't the
>former pronounciation be more appropriate since "vegan" is based on the
>words "vegetable" and "vegetarian"?  If this is inappropriate to this
>list, please accept my apologies and e-mail me privately. Thanks.

I found this at http://www.envirolink.org/arrs/faqvegan.html#5 :

    Vegan-L's Most Frequently Asked Questions

            How Is "Vegan" Pronounced?
            The word was invented by Donald Watson in the 1940's. It is
            pronounced "vee-gun". This is the most common pronunciation in
the
            UK today. No one can say this pronunciation in "wrong", so this
is
            also the politically correct pronunciation. In the US, common
            pronunciations are "vee-jan" and "vay-gn" in addition to
"vee-gn",
            though the American Vegan Society says the correct pronunciation
is
            as per the UK.

I'm a flesh and blood vegan, too, and I've always pronounced is as VEE-gun.
But, I've been in health food stores and vegetarian restaurants where people
have pronounced it in numerous other ways.  So there's not a complete
consensus on the pronunciation.

Susan Voisin  voisin@xxxxxxxxx
http://members.xoom.com/veg