Re: FATFREE Digest V98 #146

>>Since on the calendar at least here in California it is the outdoor cooking
>>season (unfortunately, the weather has not been cooperating), has anyone
>>worked out fatfree veggie grilling techniques? I have a Weber (covered) grill
>>and have tried using a "vegetable grate" (with small holes to prevent things
>>from falling through) but things still stick to it - badly!
>>So - fatfree barbeque recipes are most welcome!
>
>Take 2 slabs of tempeh and steam them on each side, let them cool, and cut
>in half-inch chunks. Cut various veggies in chunks (green & red pepper, red
>onions, mushrooms, yellow squash, etc.) and put the tempeh and veggies on
>shishkabob (sp?) skewers (the thin wood ones work best). Now mix a
>marinating sauce with maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, and a bit of soy
>sauce. I know, it sounds gross but it's very good! I never measure this so
>you'll have to experiment. It tastes and smells very odd until it's on the
>vegetables.

If you take the skewers and soak them in water before you use them,
they are a lot easier to pull out of the food you cook on them, too!

neko
     Rosencrantz:  Shouldn't we be doing something... constructive?
Guildenstern:  What did you have in mind?  A short, blunt human pyramid?
            -- Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead (mid 1960's)
                    kuroneko A T raindogs D O T net