Balsamic vinegar vs Chinese black vinegar

I'm not a vinegar snob and I have a question;
I have been a long time user of Chinese black vinegar and have used it in place of recipes calling
for Balsamic vinegar. Is there a major difference between these 2 vinegars? It seems I read
somewhere that one is a good substitute for the other. Also, black vinegar is a lot less expensive
than Balsamic.
Any ideas?
Thanks.