re: Sugar "Cravings"

I have always had problems controlling my blood sugar. Not serious ones --
at least not until I was about 8 months pregnant this last time! At about
9:00 one morning, my blood sugar dropped so low and so quickly that I
became incoherent. I was very frightened! I could think clearly, but I
couldn't communicate. I couldn't even tell my doctor's office the name of
my employer or my phone number. Needless to say, the *receptionist* at the
doctor's office sent me to the emergency room!

Anyway -- enough of the tale and on to what caused the blood sugar drop.

Too many carbohydrates in the morning. That's what they told me. At the
emergency room, they literally gave me a high protein snack as my
"prescription."

They said that the cereal (2 bowls, even!!) I had that morning had acted
almost like a candy bar. In fact, one of the nurses there had the same
problems on a consistent basis and said that there was no way she could eat
just cereal for breakfast, that she'd be "zoned" by 10:00 a.m.

They recommended something high protein like yogurt for breakfast. After
all, you haven't had anything to eat for 8 to 10 hours. That's why it's
called breakfast, you "break" your "fast."

Beverly Brandt                        Director of Training

Tri-Tek Information Systems, Inc      St. Louis, MO
bevbrandt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx              bbrandt@xxxxxxxxxxx