Re: grain desert

Sandy Gambill <gambill@xxxxxxx> writes:
>I recently ate lunch at a Hare Krishna restaurant called Govindas.
>Evidently there are many Hare Krishna restaurants all over the world and
>most of them are called Govindas. For desert, they served a grain and
>fruit mixture. It was gloppy like it might have been couscous. Does anyone
>have a recipe for this?

I used to make this and loved it.  It is different!  I can't remember
if I really used 6 cups of apple juice, or if I made part of that water.
It sounds very sweet!  Also, you can put whatever berries you want
in it.  Blueberries are very very in season now, so this would be
delicious.  I found it good to take in a picnic lunch also.

Blueberry-Couscous Cake

6 c. apple juice    3 c. couscous
1 Tbs vanilla       1 pint blueberries

Wash bb's and set on paper towels to dry.  Combine apple juice, vanilla, and
couscous in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.  Cook, stirring constantly
until thickened & all juice absorbed.  Remove from heat.  Gently fold the
bb's into hot mix.  Rinse but don't dry a 9x14 (inch) cake pan & pour the
mix into it.  Chill until set, ~2 hours.  Cut into squares.

Variations: Use strawberries in place of blueberries, top with
            unsweetened fruit jam thinned with a little water, arrange
            fruit slices on top for decoration.
Modified from a recipe from Vegetarian Gourmet, Summer 1992

Enjoy!
Ellen
Ellen M. Sentovich
Cadence Berkeley Laboratories	(510) 647-2807
2001 Addison Street, 3rd floor	(510) 486-0205 (FAX)
Berkeley, CA  94704-1103		ellens@xxxxxxxxxxx

http://www-cad.eecs.berkeley.edu/~ellen