Re: Traveling!

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Michael M. Rosenblatt wrote:

> Stopping at supermarkets remains a possibility, but you need to have
> some way to cook some of the foods available there. A small camping
> stove or steamer would help. If you need to (or want to) travel outside
> of the Country such a stove is even more important. But how can you put
> one in your suitcase? Supposing it uses a volatile or flammable fuel,
> how can you carry this on an airplane?
>
> I'd like to start a thread for you folks to help us find the IDEAL
> small, portable stove or steamer that you can carry anywhere. This would
> help us all a lot when we travel.

Here are several that I found in the CampMor Catalog (www.campmor.com).  I
haven't tried any of these.  Maybe someone out there in cyberland has some
experience with one or more of them.

Sierra Zip Woodburning Camping Stove

Boils a quart of water in just 4 minutes! Burns twigs, bark, pine cones,
scrap wood or charcoal. Heats like a blacksmith's forge. 18,000
BTU/hr - all altitudes. Easy heat control - adjustable draft. Wt. 15 oz.
Size: 4" x5" dia. Runs on 1 AA battery.  CampMor cost $39.99

Kwik-Cook Metal Folding Stove

Folds flat for easy carrying. Stove will hold a heavy pot. Front door and
sides protect flame from wind. Burns Sterno, other canned heat or
solidfied fuel. Can also be used with Nuwick Candle. Size 6 1/2" x 6 1/2"
x 5" high when opened. Wt. 14.2 oz. Imported. Campmor cost $7.99

Esbit Pocket Stove

Runs on safe, efficient, non-toxic Esbit solid fuel. Compact, lightweight,
fold-down, efficient cooking appliance. Plated tensile structured steel
with designed air flow slits in the base to provide a stronger flame.
Supporting side projections help direct heat and can be adjusted to
stabilize pots or cups. 3" x 4" x 3/4". Wt. 3 1/4 oz. Comes with
12- 1/2 oz. solid fuel tablets. Campmor cost $9.99
Fuel Refill-12pk. $5.99

Mini-trangia No. 28 Alcohol Stove

Fast, reliable and simple to use. Clean burning denatured alcohol fuel is
readily available here and abroad. Simmer ring/extinguisher allows easy
flame control.  Compactly stows in .8 liter pot with 5 1/2"  lid/frying
pan, wind shield and handle included. Wt. 11.6 oz. Burn time approx. 25
minutes at full burn. Boils 1 qt. of water in 7 minutes. Imported.
Campmor cost $24.99

Jenny Herl              |   "The world has enough for everyone's need,
jlherl@xxxxxxxx         |    but not enough for everyone's greed."
University of Illinois  |
Urbana-Champaign        |    --attributed to Mahatma Ghandi (1869-1948)