Baked Tofu recipes

These are all the baked tofu recipes that were sent to me. Enjoy, Jan
Bennicoff

Baked Tofu recipes

Baked Tofu Cutlets from D. Ornish - Eat More Weigh Less. (This is probably
closest to those you can buy)

16 ounces firm tofu
 4 Tbs. fresh lime juice
 4 Tbs. soy sauce
 1 tsp. honey
 1 tsp. minced fresh gingerroot
 1 tsp. minced garlic
 1 tsp. chili sauce

Slice the tofu into 4 slices lengthwise. Set aside.
In a flat pan or nonstick baking dish just large enough to hold the slices
in a single layer, combine the lime juice, soy sauce, honey, ginger, garlic
and chili sauce. Place the tofu in the marinade and refrigerate for at
least 2 or up to 6 hours, turning occasionally.
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Remove the dish from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature. Bake
for 45 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.
Per sv: 108 cal; 2g fat; 1054mg sodium.

Broiled Tofu from Student's Vegetarian Cookbook by Carole Raymond
1 block (12 oz.) extra-firm or firm Chinese tofu (in water)
Prepared Hoisin sauce or Marinade

MARINADE
 3 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
 3 Tbs. soy sauce
 2 tsp. catsup

1. To press the tofu, sandwich the tofu between two plates. Weigh the top
plate with a heavy book, and press for 30 minutes. Remove the weight and
top plate, and empty the water from the bottom plate. The tofu is now
ready.
2. Preheat the broiler. Slice the pressed tofu into thirds lengthwise.
Place the tofu on a lightly oiled baking sheet and spread the tofu with the
marinade.
3. Broil the tofu 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 5 to 7 minutes on each
side, until browned and crisp on the edges. Serve it straight from the oven
or make a tofu sandwich on toasted multigrain bread topped with your
favorite condiments. Makes 2 servings.

Baked Tofu

I slice the tofu really thin, marinate in bottled teriyaki sauce (for days!),
then bake it at about 300F until it "dries" out. Really easy but definitely
not fast!

 Oven-Fried Breast Of Tofu

Recipe By     : "The Almost No-fat cookbook" by Bryanna Clark Grogan
Serving Size  : 1    Preparation Time :0:00

     1 1/2  cups          water
     1/4  cup           soy sauce
   3      tablespoons   nutritional yeast flakes
   2      teaspoons     crumbled sage leaves -- or 1 tsp. powdered
                        -- sage
     1/2  teaspoon      dried rosemary
     1/2  teaspoon      dried thyme
     1/2  teaspoon      onion powder
   2      pounds        reduced-fat -- firm or medium-firm
                        -- regular tofu
   1      cup           Seasoned Flour
                        ***SEASONED FLOUR***
   2      cups          whole wheat flour or other grain flour
     1/4  cup           nutritional yeast flakes
   1      teaspoon      salt
   1      teaspoon      onion powder -- (opt.)
                        pepper to taste see directions

I fry the slices after marinating , without the seasoning flour and eat hot
or cold, delicious either way.
Prepare Breast of Tofu Marinade by combining in a 2-quart bowl: water, soy
sauce, nutritional yeast flakes, crumbled sage leaves, or powdered sage,
dried rosemary, dried thyme, onion powder.
Instead of all or some of the traditional "poultry seasonings" (thyme,
sage, rosemary, etc.), use cumin, coriander, basil, oregano, or whatever
herbs are suitable for the dish you are making. For spicy Breast of Tofu,
add as much Louisiana-style hot sauce to the marinade as you like.
Rinse, drain and squeeze liquid from tofu that has been frozen. Cut into
1/2-inch thick slices.

Marinade the tofu slices for as little as a few hours or as long as a few
days(in the refrigerator). Turn the slices or spoon over the marinade from
time to time, or store in a tightly lidded container, and shake.

To cook, preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and coat the tofu slices in
flour, following

Lay the slices in single layers, not touching, on two lightly greased,
dark-colored cookie sheets (the tofu won't brown properly on shiny aluminum
sheets). Bake until the bottoms are golden, about 15 minutes. Turn the
pieces over and bake until the other sides are golden, about 15 minutes
more. Use immediately or cool on racks and refrigerate.

The slices will keep well wrapped in the refrigerator for several days.
Cold Breast of Tofu slices can be used as a sandwich "meat." Try them diced
and mixed with celery and Tofu mayonnaise, for an excellent sandwich
filling or hearty salad to serve on lettuce leaves. Serve hot slices topped
with any sauce suitable for chicken or veal. Use in your favorite
casseroles , or slivered in a chef's salad instead of chicken.

Seasoned Flour Mix together: 2 cups whole wheat flour or other grain flour
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes 1 tsp. salt 1 tsp. onion powder(opt.)
pepper to taste Store in tightly covered container in the refrigerator.

Baked Tofu
Bake About 350 degreesfor about 30 minutes.  First, I press the liquid out of
my tofu for about one hour.

Then, I slice my one pound Chinese style block of tofu in half, making two
chunks about size of a playing card.  Then I slice twice through each chunk
ending
up with six slices total, each the approximate size of a playing card and
about 1/2
inch thick.  Then I marinate it in whatever kind of marinade I like for a
couple of
hours to overnight, take it out of the marinade and bake 30 minutes at 350