re: mochi

> ...what is mochi?

Mochi is a paste made of finely fround sweet rice and water. One can buy
the special mochi rice flour or mill it on demand. It can be cooked in a
number of ways, which determines its final form. Many Japanese celebrate
New Years with the making of mochi (pounding the rice) and making small
cakes, sometimes filled with sweet bean paste.

The first time I ever had mochi as a sort of cheese substitute was at an
okonomiyaki (cabbage pancake) shop in Hiroshima last month. The chef,
understanding that I'm vegan, asked if I'd like mochi on it. After 35 years
of eating okonomiyaki, that was the first time I'd ever heard of using
mochi in that way, but I tried it. It had the consistency of melted cheese
and added a pleasant, but  bland taste, quite good on the grilled cabbage
pancake which may commonly have meat, fish or egg on it.

I don't think one can expect to get a cheese-like taste sensation from
mochi, but it seems fine for the texture of a thick, partially melted
cheese.

I've heard that there are places somewhere that sell brown rice mochi, but
I haven't found any yet.

---
Neal Pinckney <> Healing Heart Foundation <> Makaha, Hawaii <> AH6HM