Nutritional Yeast

Subject: nutritional yeast powder
Hi Everyone:
I read about nutritional yeast flakes here that you
could use it in place of parmesan (Am I right?)cheese.
I bought what I thought was the right thing, but
realize I bought the powder.  Can this be used the
same way, or will the texture make a big difference?

I've only evern seen Nut. Yeast sold as a powder.
Sometimes I sprinkle it on top of pasta sauce & mix it in.  It gives it a bit of a richer taste.  It's a teeny bit cheesy-tasting.  There are lots of recipes to make non-dairy cheese (like mac & cheese recipes & nacho dip recipes).  I like making an eggplant parmasean recipe.
Let me know if you'd like the recipe.

Here's a good nacho dip recipe using Nut. Yeast.
I only made it once and it was reeeeeally salty-tasting.
Does anyone know why recipes using Nutritional Yeast require so much salt?  Next time I try this, I'll use less salt.

I got this recipe from http:/www.vegweb.com

 From emily@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Melty Cheese (Mock Cheese Sauce)

?2 cups water
?1/4 cup tomatoes
?1/4 cup raw almonds
?1/4 tsp. garlic powder
?1/2 tsp. onion powder
?1/2 Tbsp. sea salt
?1/2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
?2 Tbsp. corn starch
?1/4 cup nutritional yeast

Blend all ingred. in blender till very smooth. Pour in 2 quart saucepan and cook on med. heat until thick, wisking constantly. Use as a cheese sauce for macaroni or on vegies or whatever you like.

Preparation time: 1/2 hour