Re: fake fish sauce

Jayne,

In your "fake fish sauce" you mentioned the black beans come coated in
salt. However, the recipe described the beans as below:

>  use....    1/4 C soy sauce plus a little water
>               with 3 T miso with 3T fermented black beans soaked in soy
>               sauce and sherry....  [available in oriental markets]

Do the beans come already soaked in soy sauce and sherry, or do you have to
remove the salt and then soak them yourself? Some clarification would be
helpful - I'd love to try this out for a new flavor in my cooking.

Thanks,

Julie in San Jose