Powdered Milk

As long as we're on the topic of powdered milk...
I have recently acquired an automatic bread maker. Almost all of the
recipes in the book that came with the machine call for powdered milk. I
don't use dairy products at all. Which leads to my questions:
1) What is the purpose of adding powdered milk to bread recipes?
2) Can I/should I substitute powdered soy milk?
3) If I should substitute, how much? It can't be a one-to-one
replacement, can it? The box of Soy Quick that I have says to use 2
tablespoons to make a cup of "milk." When I looked on a box of powdered
milk, it said to use 1/3 cup powdered milk to make a cup of milk.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer!

Diane
sanctuarynw@xxxxxxxxxxx