Grilled Eggplant Sandwiches

I made these for our supper last night.  If you don't have a barbecue grill,
use your oven's broiler.
Serves 3-4
1 eggplant
1 red or yellow bell pepper
4 slices vidalia onion
4 slices tomato
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 loaf french or italian bread, or french or italian bread rolls
mozzarella cheese, fat free (I used reduced fat)
Freshly ground Black Pepper
Scrub eggplant and slice into 1/4" slices (lengthwise if using italian bread,
crosswise if using rolls).  Seed and clean bell pepper.  Smear the eggplant
and pepper with the garlic and season with pepper.  Get the grill as hot as
you can get it, and place the eggplant, bell pepper, and vidalia onions on
the grate (use cooking spray if necessary - food sticks to some grates).
Cook with lid down until vegetables are brown on one side, then flip over to
brown the other side  (about 10 mins total).
Cut bread or rolls in half, place a slice of mozzarella on the bottom piece
of bread and fill with hot vegetables.  Put tomato slices on top.  Place top
of bread loaf on and slice in to four pieces.
This is really good when you don't have a lot of time but want a substantial
meal.  Also good when it's too hot to cook inside.