RECIPE: pumpkin-pepper scones

Here's a yummy recipe for pumpkin scones that is not in the archive
but I'm almost sure I got from this list. They're very unusual and
quite good.

  Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 08:41:12 -0800
  From: halsalhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (h brian halsall)
  Subject: cholesterol conversions and pumpkin scones

The following recipe I took and modified from another list:

     HOT PEPPER PUMPKIN SCONES (12 to 14 scones)

1/2 cup apple sauce
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1 to 4 jalapeno peppers (or 1 habanero, depending on your tolerance!),
		stemmed, seeded, and finely diced.
		Better still if blistered and peeled first
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/8tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. pumpkin puree
6 tbsp. ff sour cream
2 egg whites, or 1 egg substitute equivalent
1/4 lb baking raisins
1/4 c. honey
1 tbsp. jalapeno, Tabasco, or other hot sauce

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a small skillet, saute the apple sauce, chopped onion and jalapeno and
stir until onion is soft (about
2 minutes). Don't stop stirring!  Set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon,ginger,
allspice, salt, and sugar. MIx in the sauteed apple sauce, diced
peppers and onion until mixture resembles grains of rice.  Make a well
in the center and add sour cream, pumpkin puree, egg whites and
raisins to the well. Mix together with a fork and gradually work in
the mixture until a soft, cohesive dough forms.

Drop the batter 1/3 cupful at a time 2 inches apart on a Pammed or
nonstick cookie sheet.  Bake for 20 minutes, until puffed and firm on
surface, but fluffy in the center (mine tend to be somewhat elastic on
the surface and lightly moist inside). Transfer to a cooling rack,
cover loosely with a dish towel and cool for at least 5 minutes.

Mix honey with the jalapeno sauce and brush tops of the scones with
this mixture before serving.

Careful, they're addictive!

Brian