Re: FATFREE Digest V99 #244

His website is at http://www.allhealth.com/ornish/

> what are the basic
> foods one can have, and which are not allowed?

If you're serious about following Ornish, I highly recommend going straight to the horse's mouth and getting one of his books.

The two most useful descriptions of his approach are "Dr. Dean Ornish's Program for Reversing Heart Disease" and "Eat More, Weigh
Less" and his best recipe book is "Everyday Cooking With Dr. Dean Ornish". You can get them all at www.amazon.com and other major
bookstores.

Here's an outline of my understanding of his program, but there are no warranties.

Diet:

No meat, fish, or other animal products except eggwhites and a limited amount on nonfat dairy products. Nothing with any added fat or
oil. No nuts or seeds (which are oily), or oily vegetables, like avocados.

Lots of grains and rice (preferably whole) and grain products, like bread and pasta, legumes (beans), vegetables (green or
starchy). A moderate amount of fruit or sugar.

Exercise:

At least 1/2 hour a day or 1 hour 3 days a week.

Stress management:

Prayer or meditation, stretching excercises, and visualization.

Vincent DiCarlo